Saturday, June 13, 2009

Kirsten's Chai Spice Cake With Love


I guarantee you that your life will be complete with this little recipe under your hat. This cake is the easiest, quickest and most delicious thing you could make. Not only that - it is super healthy without tasting like a doorstop. This recipe came from my friend Kirsten. 

Whilst the cooking time is 50 minutes (fairly standard) it takes only about 10 minutes to prepare and mix. I have made it many times when pushed for time and needing to take a cake to someone's house.

Also, you can have many variations - I have placed sliced apple on top, made a sugar honey syrup to pour on it in the last 5 mins of cooking time, and I have made a really rich cream cheese icing for it - so decadent! The best icing for it I think though is a simple icing sugar and lemon mix. The lemon is always a hit. Ice the cake when cooled and sprinkle dessecated coconut on top - delicious. 

What can I do to convince you all that this is the perfect recipe? I guess you will have to make it to find out...

CHAI SPICE CAKE:

1 - 2 carrots grated
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup vegetable or coconut oil (I use rice bran oil)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of self raising flour (can be wholemeal which I think tastes awesome)
1 tsp Chai Spice or cinnamon (I just use lovely real chai spice tea leaves)

Mix with a wooden spoon and cook in a lined and greased 20cm cake tin on 180 degrees. Check its progress every now and then using a skewer - if it comes out clean it is ready.

Ice when cooled.

Quotes before eating:
"I hate carrot" - flatmate
"Carrot cake is my least favourite" - boyfriend

Quotes after eating:
"I stole some more of your cake - I was going to ask but I did it anyway" - flatmate who hates carrot
"Is there any of that cake left?" - boyfriend who loved it
"I usually don't like carrot cake but this is delicious" - good friend. I don't think the piece I gave her to give to her boyfriend made it home!
 

No comments: