Friday, December 26, 2008

Witches Charms

I bought myself the book "The Little World of Elves and Fairies" for Christmas. $11 second hand. It was in a bookstore in Dee Why for years and every time I went in I would say "no, I don't have the money". Finally, the other day, I spent half an hour looking for it until I finally found it and bought it. After about two years!!!

The illustrations are beautiful. They are by Ida Rentoul Outhwaite. Ever since I was little I was in love with this image. Being a witch was my very first career aspiration. Bless. 
 

Witches Charms
The weather is fair, the wind is good
Up, dame, on your horse of wood!
Or else tuck up your grey frock,
And saddle your goat or your green cock,
And make his bridle a ball of thread
To roll up how many miles you have rid.
Quickly come away,
For we all stay.

The owl is abroad, the bat and the toad,
And so is the cat-a-mountain;
The ant and the mole sit both in a hole,
And the frog peeps out of the fountain,
The dogs they do bay, and the timbrels play.
The spindle is now a-turning;
The moon it is red, and the stars have fled,
But the sky is a-burning.

Ben Jonson.

I know it is Christmas and not Halloween, however it is always the right time for witchy things. Here are a few relatively old pics of mine (2007)

The Fortune Teller


Halloween 2007

xxx

No comments: