Saturday, January 23, 2010

Granny go lucky

The Lovliest thing has happened. After so many attempts, and so much pure frustration, I have made a 'granny square'. I made one!!! And guess what? I am on my second granny square! And guess what else? I reckon I could make quite a few a day - it does become easy, please trust me! Ok, once more, guess what else? I reckon I may even be able to move on to a more difficult pattern now!

I will show you the pictures when I can I promise...for now...A couple of pointers.

Find wool colours you know you will LOVE to use. I chose pink and navy, yummy.
Get the right crochet hook to wool - I got 8ply wool and a 4mm hook
Research and play with the basic stitches - 'slip stitch', 'chain stitch', etc.
Remember, a treble stitch is also called 'dc' or double crochet (Aussie vs US crochet language).
Use different web sites/books until you find the ones you like. For me, the Meet Me At Mikes video demonstrations were awesome and a really great starter. After that I did not want to keep watching each video so I found the 'craftstylish' blog which means I can have the pattern up on the computer and keep looking at it while I stitch - great pictures and very very clear.
Here is the granny this page helps you to make.
The basic double-crochet granny square is easy to learn how to make and is a great way to use up some of your yarn stash.

Finally, keep dreaming of the beautiful pink crochet granny blanket you can make for the sister in law for Christmas...

Now that's a treat.

Bless
x

No comments: