Monday, January 11, 2010

Little Birdy Birdy Birdy

I always thought I was never one for realism - realism, I have said many times, is not really my 'thing'. I thought I preferred lands of whimsy, fields of fancy, skies of colour, strange creatures, rosy cheeked girls, flying fish...I knew this from the day I saw the Surrealists exhibition in high school. Now that is my kinda painting I remember saying. And that is my kinda world.

But, like always, I have found myself eating my words...and choking. Very much like the day I found that I kinda don't really mind pink. What has happened to me? I have started painting stuff that is real - painting as I see it. And with OIL PAINTS? And, what is that you say? I LIKE it?!?! Who would have thought.

Yes, its true. I have a 1970's (1977 to be exact - the year of my birth) version of the classic Reader's Digest Book of Birds. I have painted three paintings so far. They are very small. Almost miniatures. Probably around 12 x 7cm? I can't find my ruler.

The image below was my first one painted a couple of months ago - painted from the book but with my own background to make the birds stand out. The birds and branches also have a high gloss varnish painted on them, again, to make them stand out.



Zebra Finches - Poephila guttata - Birds of the dry interior.
Oil on board
Inspired by the Reader's Digest book of Birds and my own childhood Avery built by my dad.


When I was little my dad built a huge Avery with all sorts of finches, quails and other birds. Zebra finches were part of that magical collection. The painting below is my second work. These are also zebra finches painted from the book.


Zebra Finches - Poephila guttata - Birds of the dry interior.
Oil on board
Inspired by the Reader's Digest book of Birds and my own childhood Avery built by my dad.


Lastly, this is my favourite. This is a painting I did from my holiday road trip at Christmas and New Year. This pretty little bird from the NSW Alpine region just sat and chatted for ages while we took photographs using a zoom lense. Walking back along the same track about a half hour later we stopped at the same spot to see if this little bird would stop and chat again. We only had to wait a couple of minutes before he returned to say hi. He is a Spotted Parladote. I love how part of his name is 'punctatus' - this reminds me of the work 'punctual' and he was so punctual with returning to say hi!

Spotted Pardalote - Paaedalotus punctatus
Oil on board
Inspired by the best road trip ever


So there you go. A lesson in never saying never I guess.

Bless
x

No comments: